Thursday, September 27, 2012

Comics

Category: Literature
Place: Anywhere
Regular Budget: Comic: 1-5$
Optional Budget: Comic holder with stand: 26$


If you are one of those people who don't like to read much, but love to collect and enjoy a good story, comics are the real thing for you! I'm not saying you can't read them if you do like to read books, everyone can enjoy comics, no matter the age or gender.
Comics have been around for a long time and based on stereotypes they are mostly read by geeks or kids, which is actually not the case. Reading comics usually goes with collecting them, but you can just read them or go to the extremes and only collect them, without even opening the safe bag.
You can get comics online, at book stores, second hand stands, trade with other collectors or you can read them online.
There are a lot of comic genres like fiction, humor, horror, detective, kid's, love, anime and so on. Choose what you like the most and either stick to that genre and make a collection, make a collection for a single comic series or you can just mix them all together.
Comics are great for killing time, enjoying your free time and the feeling of completing a collection is great.
I enjoy horror comics and am a fan of Dylan Dog, but mostly the older ones. If you can't quite decide which comic you want to buy or which series, you should go on a comic reader's forum and read what others have to say about comics. One that I found best is: http://forums.comicbookresources.com/ You can also find descriptions of those comics and possibly reviews.

8 comments:

  1. Now here's something I love, I'm a DC fan myself, though you can be certain some hardcover books cost more then $26

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I found someone like me and glad to hear you like the post!
      The 26$ price is actually for a holder with a stand and I know hardcovers can range much more than that, but I didn't bother with them because I qualify them more as books, rather than comics, don't know why.

      Delete
  2. Oh hell yes.

    I'm a comic reader, but only of things that have either ended, or have clearly defined arcs. I've never been able to keep up with ongoing stories very well, so I usually just wait until the 'graphic novel' versions come out. Tends to end up cheaper, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little bit like you, I don't like the "To be continued" comics.
      If I knew all my followers were comic readers, I would have started a comic blog! Hehe, just kidding, but I'll keep it in mind.

      Delete
    2. yeah I agree with this as well, stories with story defined story arcs are the best, specially seeing as how comics just /love/ the status quo *coughs*Spiderman one more day*coughs*

      Delete
  3. Since there are really no where to buy comics in my area I have mostly read web comics. I really enjoy them because of the ease of online publishing almost any one can get there story out into the genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yeah, but the materialistic joy of owning one or a collection is what also matters.

      Delete
  4. I agree with The Captain. I prefer comics with a well defined beginning and ending, even though I spent years reading the X-Men. Now, I'm more a fan of graphic novels or short runs like the do in Vertigo or Image.

    ReplyDelete